I lost my pet. What should I do to help get it back?

Keeping a current rabies tag, and license tag or personal identification tag on your pet's collar will help assure the return of your pet. If your pet escapes, first contact the Animal Control Division of the Skokie Health Department at 847-982-5970 to report your animal lost. Give a detailed description since this will help identify your pet if it has no other identification or is spotted from a distance.

Also, contact surrounding communities with the same information, since a pet can travel a long distance when lost.

Next, receive permission to post fliers on bulletin boards in pet stores, animal shelters, animal hospitals and grocery stores. Include a description and photograph of your pet and the area where it was lost.

Lastly, consider placing a lost and found ad in the local newspapers.

Show All Answers

1. I've found a baby animal (bird, squirrel, rabbit, etc.). What should I do?
2. I lost my pet. What should I do to help get it back?
3. I hear noises in my attic. What's up there and what can I do?
4. What is digging up my lawn?