Village staff throughout the organization are working together to implement the strategies of the updated Skokie Environmental Sustainability Plan. Approved by the Village Board in 2022, the plan aims to reduce communitywide Greenhouse Gas emissions by 35 percent from 2020 levels by 2030 and achieve carbon neutrality by 2050.
By the end of Q4 2023, the Village initiated work or made significant progress towards 55 percent of the Plan’s action items. Accomplishments from the fourth quarter of 2023 include:
- The Village achieved designation as an “EV Ready” community through the Metropolitan Mayors Caucus and ComEd
- Two hundred trees were planted as part of the Village’s parkway tree planting program, helping increase canopy coverage in Skokie
- Crews repaved the Sculpture Park path between Oakton and Howard streets, completing five years of maintenance work in which a portion of the trail was resurfaced each year
- The Village joined a U.S. Department of Energy pilot cohort, which will assist communities in improving energy efficiency in municipal buildings
- More than 64 tons of food scraps were composted through Village programs in Q4 alone, diverting methane-producing organic materials from the landfill
Learn more about the Skokie Environmental Sustainability Plan.