Fire Prevention Week is October 8 through 14, 2023. This year's theme is "Cooking safety starts with YOU. Pay attention to Fire Prevention."
Here are a few reminders to stay safe while cooking:
- Turn pot handles towards the back of the stove to help prevent burn injuries
- Keep a lid nearby. If grease or oil ignites, slide the lid over the pan and turn off the burner
- Keep grills outdoors and away from play areas
- Watch what you heat and set a timer to remind you that you are cooking
- Keep the oven, stove and burners clean
Started in 1925 in remembrance of the Great Chicago Fire of 1871, Fire Prevention Week is one of the longest running public health observances in the United States.