July 17, 2019
Excessive Heat Warning - Be Careful and Safe During Summer Heat
The National Weather Service has issued an “Excessive Heat Warning” on July 18 through 20. During high heat conditions, the Village of Skokie recommends the following:
- Use a buddy system to check in on family, neighbors, and friends;
- Limit strenuous outdoor activities and use sunscreen;
- Know the symptoms of heat illness;
- If possible, plan activities for the coolest times of the day, early morning or late afternoon;
- Drink plenty of fluids;
- Wear light-colored, loose-fitting clothing outdoors;
- NEVER leave children or pets in a parked car; and
- Protect your pets. Make sure your pet always has cool, clean water and a shaded area to rest if left outside
The following public locations are typically available for cooling in Skokie. If closed, cooling should be sought in available locations with air conditioning:
Skokie Public Library, 5215 Oakton Street, Skokie, IL
Monday - Friday, 9:00 a.m. - 9:00 p.m.
Saturday, 9:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
Sunday, 12:00 - 6:00 p.m.
Skokie Park District, Devonshire Cultural Center, 4400 Greenwood Avenue, Skokie, IL
847-674-1500 x 2400
Monday - Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 9:00 p.m.
Saturday, 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Sunday, 9:00 a.m. - 9:00 p.m.
Skokie Park District, Oakton Community Center, 4701 Oakton Street, Skokie, IL
847-674-1500 x 2700
Monday - Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 8:00 p.m.
Saturday, 8:30 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
Sunday, 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Skokie Park District, Weber Leisure Center, 9300 Weber Park Place, Skokie, IL
847-674-1500 x 3500
Monday - Friday, 5:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m.
Saturday & Sunday, 7:00 a.m. 8:00 p.m.
For more information contact the Skokie Health Department at 847/933-8252, or visit www.skokie.org.