In April 2023, the Skokie Village Board approved an ordinance banning the use of platform bird feeders in Skokie.
Why? Bird feeding is frequently identified as a contributing factor for rodent activity. Due to their open design and placement near the ground, platform feeders allow easy access to nuisance species, including rats, squirrels, raccoons, opossums and skunks.
More bird feeding tips: If you opt to use another type of bird feeder, please follow these guidelines to discourage rodents:
- Choose a weight-sensitive feeder or one made out of plastic or metal that rats are less likely to chew through
- Make sure to not overfill the feeder
- Promptly clean up any spillage that may land on the ground and make an easy meal for rats
- Place feeders out in the open lawn, away from shrubs, trees, and other structures
- Consider using a baffle to prevent nuisance species from climbing the pole on which the bird feeder is mounted
Want to do more? Learn five ways to discourage rodents.