Review these guidelines first
Are you considering installing a Little Free Library® on your property? To ensure accessibility and safety for all sidewalk and roadway users, Skokie residents are reminded to follow the guidelines below:
- Structures must be on private property and not in the public right-of-way
- Sight lines and movement of vehicles, bicyclists and pedestrians must not be obstructed
Size and Condition
- Structures must be no larger than four feet tall and three feet wide (when mounted)
- Structures must be kept in good repair
- Properties are limited to one library structure only
What is a Little Free Library?
Little Free Library is a book exchange program whereby members of a community install a “library” in a place that is accessible to all, inviting neighbors to stop by and take or leave a book of their choosing.
Although this is not a Village program, Little Free Libraries can be found in many communities across the country, including Skokie.
Is a permit needed to install a Little Free Library?
Nope! Just follow the guidelines above.
How can I report issues?
Contact the Village at 847-933-8223. Structures that do not meet safety and property standards guidelines may be removed.