The 2021 Block Party of the Year Awards were presented by the Human Relations Commission at the July 18, 2022 Village Board meeting to these enthusiastic blocks:
- 8000 block of Lowell Avenue (from Keeney Street to Oakton Street):
- This LOWELLPALOOZA Block Party Parade Theme had water balloon toss, side-walk chalk, neighbor pot-luck and various activities for the adults and kids going on all day long.
- 4300 block of Madison Street (from Lowell Avenue to alley before Kostner Avenue):
- The theme of this block party each year is "BYOP" Bring Your Own Pumpkin and they out did themselves with their Halloween theme, huge pumpkin jump house for the kids, costume contest, outstanding pumpkin carvings and a ton of pot-luck food, and of course, CANDY!
- 8100 block of Kostner Avenue (From Cleveland Street to Keeney Street):
- This party had a donut eating contest, face painting, a craft station, bounce house and a bike parade during the day. Once the sun went down, the projector went up and the popcorn came out!
Congratulations to these blocks for sharing the true Skokie spirit of what Block Parties are all about!
Block Party of the Year Awards recognizes the efforts of community members to build relationships with their neighbors and promotes quality of life for the whole community. Winners will have a sign installed on their blocks that denote the recognition of this award. If you don’t have a block party planned this year, get started with planning one soon! Click here for more information and a block party permit application. Be sure to check the boxes for Skokie Fire and Police to stop by – these visits are always a highlight!