The Skokie Police Department is committed to providing the community with education and information regarding firearm safety. Studies have shown that many firearms owners fail to safely store their firearms, and the Skokie Police Department offers the following recommendations for safe handling and storage of firearms:
- Firearms should be stored unloaded, in a secure and locked location, out of the reach and sight of children. • Firearms should be equipped with effective child-resistant gun locks.
- Ammunition should be stored in a secure and locked location, separately from firearms.
- When outside of their storage location, firearms should never be left unattended.
In addition, the Skokie Police Department offers the following firearms safety services to the community; contact 847/982-5900 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information:
- Temporary Storage of Firearms
- If a temporary situation exists where a resident is not able to provide safe storage of firearms, the firearms can be stored at the Skokie Police Department at no cost. If firearms cannot be transported safely and legally, an officer will respond to the residence to retrieve them.
- Firearm and Ammunition Destruction
- Unwanted firearms and ammunition can be turned in to the Police Department at any time for safe destruction. If firearms or ammunition cannot be transported safely and legally, an Officer will respond to the residence to retrieve them.
- Firearms Restraining Orders
- Under the Firearms Restraining Order Act, family members, household members, and law enforcement can petition the Circuit Court to remove a person’s access to firearms, based on evidence that the person is a danger to themselves or others. The Police Department can provide additional information and assistance with these matters. Click here for more information.
The Skokie Police Department further recommends these resources for more information:
How To Ask About Safe Firearms Storage
Firearms Restraining Order Brochure - Illinois Attorney General
End Family Fire (in-home firearms incidents)
Safe Kids Worldwide firearms safety tips