Click here to print or download the list of Skokie cooling centers. Click here to see information on the importance of wearing sunscreen, too!
During hot weather, residents are reminded to:
- Drink plenty of fluids
- Try to stay in the shade or indoors in an air-conditioned room as much as possible
- Stay out of the sun
- If working outside, take frequent breaks, preferably in an air-conditioned space
- When possible, reschedule strenuous activities to early morning or evening.
- Wear lightweight and loose fitting clothing
- Check on elderly neighbors and those with functional needs
- Take pets indoors and make sure they have plenty of water
- Never leave children or pets unattended in a vehicle.
- Use sunscreen
- Watch for signs of heat stroke; call 9-1-1
Sign of Heat Stroke include (CALL 9-1-1):
- High body temperature; 104 F (40C) or higher
- Altered mental state or behavior (confusion; agitation; slurred speech; delirium; seizures; coma)
- Alteration in sweating
- Nausea and vomiting
- Flushed skin
- Rapid breathing
- Racing heart rate
- Muscle weakness or cramps