The Village received nearly 18 inches of snow in the winter storm that began on February 14 and continued through the early morning of February 16, 2021. Here are updates on the Village's response to the storm:
Due to the very deep snow accumulation, alternate-side parking is in effect from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Tuesday, February 16; Wednesday, February 17; Thursday, February 18 and Friday, February 19.
- On Tuesday, February 16 and Thursday, February 18, all vehicles must be parked on the side of the street with even-numbered addresses between 8 a.m. and 6 p.m.
- On Wednesday, February 17 and Friday, February 19, all vehicles must be parked on the side of the street with odd-numbered addresses between 8 a.m. and 6 p.m.
- You must stay parked on the specified side of the street up until 6 p.m., as plows make multiple passes even after you think they're finished. Those choosing to move their vehicle to the incorrect side of the street before 6 p.m. are subject to receiving a citation.
At present, plows cannot go down some streets on which a majority of residents do not comply with alternate-side parking.
- Plowing will continue through the end of the week.
- Alley plowing began shortly after midnight on Tuesday, February 16 and continues until completion. Alleys will be plowed again beginning shortly after midnight on Wednesday, February 17 continuing through Thursday, February 18.
- Sidewalk snow plowing began at 5 a.m. on Tuesday, February 16 and continues until completion; it is estimated that sidewalk snow plowing will not be completed until the end of this week. Please do not block the sidewalk with your car.
- Special message for commercial businesses and condo owners: please clear snow and salt around your refuse and recycling containers. The containers are on wheels and the area from the container to the alley must be completely clear in order for the container to be serviced. If you have a contract with a snow removal service, please check to make sure snow removal around your refuse and recycling containers is included.
Refuse and recycling collection information:
- There will be no refuse collection on Tuesday, February 16 or Wednesday, February 17. Regular collections are expected on Thursday, February 18 and Friday, February 19.
- Lakeshore Recycling Systems will not collect residential recycling or commercial waste on Tuesday, February 16. They expect to return to regular operations on Wednesday, February 17.
Village Parking Lots Available for Residents
Through Friday, February 19 at 6:01 p.m., the following municipal and park district parking lots are available for residential parking:
- North Skokie Swift parking lot that is accessed off of Gross Point Road north of Dempster Street. Parking is allowed in the section of the lot closest to Gross Point Road.
- The municipal parking lot near Crafty Beaver on the north side of Oakton Street in Downtown Skokie.
- Skokie Swift parking lot on the northwest corner of Skokie Boulevard and Searle Parkway.
- The north Oakton Park parking lot at 4701 Oakton Street.