Click here to view a video explaining the Skokie Alternate-Side Parking program.
Due to the heavy snowfall, alternate-side parking is in effect on February 1 and 2, 2021, from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. The snow removal program is a minimum two-day operation. Here is how alternate-side parking works in Skokie:
- On odd-numbered days of the month, after a snowfall of two inches or more, all vehicles must be moved to the side of the street with odd-numbered addresses between 8 a.m. and 6 p.m.
- On February 1, parking is required on the side of the street with odd-numbered addresses.
- On even-numbered days of the month, after a snowfall of two inches or more, all vehicles must be moved to the side of the street with even-numbered addresses between 8 a.m. and 6 p.m.
- On February 2, parking is required on the side of the street with even-numbered addresses.
- Skokie Police will issue tickets for non-compliance beginning on February 1. See more information about alternate-side parking enforcement.
Update - January 30/31 Storm:
- The Village of Skokie received over eight inches of snow.
- Skokie Public Works crews began clearing streets overnight on January 30 and will continue clearing through 6 p.m. on Tuesday, February 2.
- There will be no refuse collections on Monday, February 1. On Tuesday, February 2, refuse collection crews will service Monday routes. On Wednesday, February 3, refuse collection crews will service Tuesday routes. The regular collection schedule will be in effect for the remainder of the week. There are no changes to the recycling collection schedule.
- Sidewalk snow plowing is underway.
- Alley plowing will begin shortly around midnight on Monday, February 1 and continue into the early hours of Tuesday, February 2.
There are numerous ways to find out of alternate-side parking is in effect:
• Sign up for CodeRED text alerts
• Watch for an alert on the home page at www.skokie.org
• Call the Village’s 24-hour Snow Hotline at 847/675-SNOW (7669)
• Listen to 1660 AM Skokie Radio
• Sign up for SkokieNews to receive an email alert on the first morning that alternate-side parking is in effect
• Tune to SkokieVision cable and look for the crawl message (Channel 25 on RCN systems, Channel 17 on Comcast systems)
• Listen for the emergency siren that sounds at 7 a.m. to signal that the program is in effect from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. that day
Village of Skokie Public Works crews plow sidewalks throughout the community after four inches of snow, and alley plowing occurs after a snowfall of six inches or more. Be sure to check www.skokie.org for updates during winter storm events. At times, refuse and recycling collection is suspended so that Public Works crews can finish clearing snow from the community, and updates on this schedule also are posted at www.skokie.org. Certain Village streets are exempt from alternate-side parking on Saturday, Sunday and some holidays. See a complete list of exempt streets. Numerous main Village thoroughfares, including Touhy Avenue, sections of Oakton Street, Skokie Boulevard, Old Orchard Road, Crawford Avenue and more are under the jurisdiction of either the Cook County Highway Department or the Illinois Department of Transportation, and those agencies are responsible for plowing the roads under their jurisdiction. See a map of Skokie street jurisdictions.
Temporary Parking Available in Several Village Lots
When alternate-side parking is in effect, the Village allows temporary parking in two Village-owned parking lots in the community:
• North Skokie Swift parking lot that is accessed off of Gross Point Road north of Dempster Street. Parking is allowed in the section of the lot closest to Gross Point Road.
• The municipal parking lot near Crafty Beaver on the north side of Oakton Street in Downtown Skokie.
• Skokie Swift parking lot on the northwest corner of Skokie Boulevard and Searle Parkway.
Parking restrictions in these parking lots are relaxed while alternate-side parking is in effect. Parking restrictions go back into effect at 6:01 p.m. on the last day of alternate-side parking.
See more information about alternate-side parking.