An antibody test, which is a blood test, can show if you had a past infection with the virus that causes COVID-19. If you were ill with symptoms of COVID-19 since February 2020 and were not able to get tested, it might be useful to get an antibody test now to verify that you had the virus. The antibody test does not diagnose a current infection with COVID-19.
- A positive antibody test means that you likely had a COVID-19 infection, and may be protected from re-infection (have immunity), but this cannot be said with certainty.
- A negative antibody test means you likely never had COVID-19 infection. You could still get COVID-19.
Two local options for antibody testing:
The cost of an antibody test ranges between $75 and $150 and may be covered by insurance.
- NTL Laboratory, located at 8833 Gross Point Rd in Skokie, is a medical reference laboratory that provides services for hundreds of physicians around the Midwest.
- NTL is offering COVID-19 antibody testing by appointment at their Skokie laboratory facility. You can schedule an appointment online at NTL Laboratory Antibody Test, or staff is standing ready to take your call at 888-977-5776 during the hours of 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, or 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. on Saturdays.
- The staff at NTL is pleased to assist Skokie residents in fighting the spread of COVID-19. They look forward to meeting you and making this an easy experience for you.
- NorthShore University HealthSystem
You can learn more about antibody testing from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: CDC COVID-19 Antibody Information