On May 6, 1881, town leaders formed the Niles Centre Volunteer Fire Company, which is the charter of what would become the Skokie Fire Department. Over the past two centuries as Niles Centre grew and became the Village of Skokie, the Fire Department developed into one of the most superior fire protection agencies in the United States. This is validated by the Department’s Class 1 rating by the Insurance Services Office (ISO) as well as being an accredited agency through the Commission on Fire Accreditation International (CFAI). The Skokie Fire Department’s growth and reputation are the result of a proactive approach to fire safety and service to the community. The Skokie Fire Department averaged 10,000 emergency responses each of the past two years and has responded to over a quarter of a million calls in its 139-year history.
Over the years, the Skokie Fire Department has expanded from one firehouse located downtown to three fire stations strategically located in the community. The Fire Department is well equipped to provide fire protection and emergency medical services with a Battalion Chief, three engines, three ambulances, two trucks, one rescue/pumper, and one heavy rescue squad. Staffed with certified firefighters and paramedics, the Fire Department strives to provide a high level of service to the community.
See additional information about the Skokie Fire Department.
Niles Center (Skokie) Fire Department 1937 Pirsch Ladder Truck Photograph
Niles Center Fire Department 1937 Pirsch Ladder Truck. First Ladder Truck is painted white with ’Niles Center’ on engine cover. Volunteer Firefighter Francis Pat Seul driving. Skokie is previously known as Niles Center.