Yard waste collection season resumes April 1, 2020. Residents no longer need to call to schedule a pickup. Plant material, small brush and leaves are collected in 32-gallon biodegradable yard waste bags (available at local grocery and home improvement stores) or bundles every Wednesday, with the exception of holiday weeks when the collection will occur on the Saturday following the holiday.
Materials should be properly bagged with a biodegradable bag or bundled securely with rope, string or twine and placed out for collection no later than 7 a.m. on Wednesday mornings, preferably the night before. Bags should be placed in the same area where refuse and recycling collection occurs. The last collection for yard waste will occur on Wednesday, November 11, 2020. Leaf collection usually begins in mid-October as leaves begin to fall. Items not included with residential yard waste collection:
- Grass clippings: are not collected. It is recommended they be mulched as they are mown and remain on the lawn for fertilization. Otherwise, private disposal is required.
- Heavy materials: Bags exceeding 50 lbs. each or bundles exceeding 50 lbs. each will not be collected.
- Branches that are too large or not bundled: Branches must be securely tied with rope, string or twine. Bundles should not exceed 5 feet in length or 50 lbs. each. Branches larger than 3 inches in diameter or longer than 5 feet in length will not be collected.
- Any yard waste contained in plastic bags or in either the refuse or recycling cart will not be collected.
- Dirt, sod, stumps and logs: Please arrange for private disposal.
Large landscaping jobs are not included in this program. Private disposal will have to be arranged. The Village has strong anti-dumping ordinances and violators will be ticketed. Also, garbage and recycling containers that contain grass clippings, branches or other yard debris will not be collected as state law prohibits landfilling these materials.
See more information from the Skokie Public Works Department.