COVID-19 Update - All disposable gloves, masks, and medical tubing must be bagged, tied, and thrown in the trash. It cannot be recycled.
A 95-gallon brown refuse cart is provided to each single-family household for storage of up to 200 lbs. of household refuse. General household refuse is collected twice per week. Carts must be placed out for collection no later than 7:00 AM on collection days. It is recommended that they are placed out the night before to ensure service the next day. Please ensure that your cart(s) are accessible and not obstructed by parked cars, snow drifts and/or other obstacles. Please ensure that your materials are properly contained and the lid on your cart is closed. It is recommended that your cart be rinsed out regularly so as to prevent the attraction of critters and rodents.
- Monday and Thursday: North of Greenleaf Ave.
- Tuesday and Friday: South of Greenleaf Ave.
- 2021 Refuse and Recycling Holiday Schedule
- Refuse Collection Map (PDF)
Residential refuse service does not include housing with more than four units. Please visit our Commercial, Condominium & Multi-Family page for more information.
Items not collected within residential refuse:
- Yard waste or grass clippings
- Hazardous items and/or liquids: chemicals, oil-based paint, pesticides, etc. For more information, visit our Household Hazardous Waste Page
- Latex paint is not taken in liquid form. Oil dry, kitty litter or sand can be used to dry paint into a solid. Cans of paint can then be disposed of, with the lids on, with regular household refuse collection.
- Construction debris: Any material generated from contractors must be disposed of privately. The Village accepts a small amount of debris from homeowner projects. Residents are allowed to place up to one cubic yard out for their second collection. Small / loose material should be placed in heavy duty contractor bags. Nails must be removed or pounded flat. Skokie residents are allowed to take construction materials to the SWANCC transfer station for a fee.
- Loose refuse: All materials out for collection (with the exception of clean recycling) must be properly containerized in 32-gallon garbage bags and securely tied. Bags should not weigh more than 50 lbs. each.
- Electronics: It is against Illinois State Law to landfill electronics. They must be dropped off at local drop-off sites for proper recycling.
Special Pick-Ups and Bulk Items
- Large collections: Household generated large collections (small move-outs and cleanups) can be scheduled. Call Public Works at 847-933-8427 to schedule. Large collections require a dumpster and are the resident’s responsibility. Dumpsters are available directly through LRS at 1-844-NEED-LRS.
- Couches, other furniture, or mattresses: The Village will accept 1-2 items per week. The items should be placed out for your second collection of the week. Mattresses must be wrapped in plastic which is available at local hardware stores. Please do not place bulk pick up items out during holiday weeks.
- Skokie residents are allowed to bring landscape waste, solid waste, bulk items, and white goods directly to the SWANCC Transfer Station.