History & Trivia
In 2003, Skokie Public Library received a grant to digitize materials documenting the history of the Skokie Fire Department. Approximately seven hundred photographs, documents, and artifacts were digitized, all of them housed in the Historical Society and collected by Ron Smith of the Skokie Fire Department.
FundingFunding for this grant was awarded by the Illinois State Library, a Division of the Office of Secretary of State, and State Librarian Jesse White, using funds provided by the Institute of Museum and Library Services under the federal Library Services and Technology Act. For more information visit the Illinois Digital Archives page.
- Where do fire poles come from?
- When did the first fire apparatus arrive in America?
- In the 1800's what was developed in England that changed the technology of firefighting?
- Who pulled the steam pumpers to the fire scene?
- In the hit T.V. show of the 70's "Emergency!" what were the names of the paramedics?
- On October 9, 1871 the infamous "Chicago Fire" killed 300 people, but there was an even more tragic fire that same day that killed 1200 people. Where was that fire?
- How long have fire sprinkler systems been in use?
- Why do some fire apparatus display a green warning light? Why is it there? Why are red and green lights on fire stations?
- What is a bucket brigade?
- What are fire grenades?
- Who invented the "modern" portable fire extinguisher?
- What is a "Squirt"?
- Who is St. Florian?
- What is the Star of Life?
- Who were the "Prowlers"?
- Where did organized fire fighting in America begin?
- What should I know about fire horses?
- Do you know what a novelty lighter is?
- What is a Fire Mark?
- What is a Fire Tetrahedron?