Carbon Monoxide Detectors

Carbon Monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odorless deadly gas. It is virtually unrecognizable; it can do its damage before you realize it's there.


Carbon Monoxide can be present whenever fuel is burned. Common household appliances can produce it, such as:
  • Charcoal Grills
  • Clothes Dryers
  • Fireplaces
  • Gas or Oil Furnaces
  • Ovens
  • Ranges
  • Uneven Space Heaters
  • Water Heaters
  • Wood Burning Stoves
Even fumes from automobiles contain Carbon Monoxide. They can enter the home through walls or doorways if a car is left running in an attached garage.

Additional Sources

Furnace heat exchangers can crack; vents and chimneys can become blocked, disconnected or corroded; inadequate air supply for combustion appliances can cause build ups of Carbon Monoxide in the home. If a home is well ventilated and no air pressure fluctuations or venting or chimney blockages exist, carbon monoxide usually seeps safely outside.

Protection from Carbon Monoxide Poisoning - It's the Law

Carbon Monoxide detectors must be installed within fifteen feet (15') of each room used for sleeping. Detectors should be listed by a testing agency such as Underwriters Laboratories Inc. (UL). For extra safety, choose a self-powered, extra sensitive unit that responds to lower levels of carbon monoxide and protects during a power outage.


The Carbon Monoxide alarm may be combined with smoke detecting devices provided that the combined unit complies with the respective provisions of the Village Code, is listed for such use, and emits an alarm in a manner that clearly differentiates the hazard.

Additional Information

For further information on the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning, please visit refer to the Carbon Monoxide is a Stealthy Killer (PDF).