The Village of Skokie requires a current Certificate of Occupancy for all non-residential uses operating in the Village. The Certificate of Occupancy must be renewed every year. All businesses that require additional licenses are contained in Chapter 42 of the Village Code.
The procedure for obtaining a Certificate of Occupancy is as follows:
- Obtain a Certificate of Occupancy Application (PDF) at the Building, Zoning & Property Standards Division (main floor of Village Hall) or download an application.
- Submit the completed application to the Building, Zoning & Property Standards Division. The application must contain the signatures of both the proposed tenant and the current owner of the property. A floor plan and/or site plan may be required depending on the proposed use of the property.
- Staff will review the application to determine whether or not the proposed use is permitted, and if the minimum parking requirements will be met.
- Staff will approve or deny an application. If the application is denied based on zoning or parking, the requestor will be notified within 10 business days.
- Set up an inspection of the site with the Building, Zoning & Property Standards Division by calling 847/933-8223. If a building permit has been issued, all inspections must be completed prior to the occupancy inspection.
- The Village of Skokie will perform an inspection of the site. Both the interior and exterior of the site will be inspected.
- If all of the Village inspectors approve the inspection, a Certificate of Occupancy will be issued.
- If any of the inspectors deny the inspection, the requestor will be required to correct the violations and schedule a re-inspection. The requestor must call the Building, Zoning & Property Standards Division at 847/933-8223 to schedule an inspection.