The Environmental Health Division of the Skokie Health Department is responsible for the enforcement of the Village's environmental health codes.
Registered sanitarians inspect local restaurants, retail food establishments, nursing homes, day care centers, and day care homes. The Division also responds to complaints of conditions creating a public nuisance or a health hazard. If a problem is identified, the sanitarians work with the establishment or property owner to rectify the situation in a non-confrontational manner. Environmental Health staff can issue citations in those situations where there is a recurring problem or non-compliance.
Learn more about controlling rats in Skokie.
As a part of its ongoing testing program to assure the safety of Skokie's drinking water, the Environmental Health Division collects 72 water samples per month from various locations throughout the Village for analysis.
In addition, if you feel there may be a problem with your water, the Skokie Health Department can collect a sample for testing if it is deemed necessary. In some cases you will be referred to a private laboratory. If you would like to know more about the Village of Skokie's water testing program, call the Skokie Health Department's Environmental Health Division. View the Village's 2018 Water Quality Report (PDF).
- Cottage Food Application (PDF)
- Food Servce Permit Application (PDF)
- Food Service Construction Requirements (PDF)
- Food Temperature Chart (PDF)
- Food Truck requirements (PDF)
- Handwashing Poster (PDF)
- Manual Washing Compartment Sink Version (PDF)
- Preventing West Nile Virus in Skokie. (PDF)
- Temporary Food Permit Requirements (PDF)
- Temporary Food Service Permit Application (PDF)