Public Works - Residential Refuse and Recycling Program

What should I do if my refuse or recycling cart is damaged? Please contact the Public Works Department, who will determine if cart patching is possible, or if replacement of the lid, body or both components is necessary.  The Refuse Collection Division replaces carts systematically and does not replace carts on a call-in basis.

When will my refuse cart be emptied? Collections are made twice per week for residents who reside in single-family homes. Residents who live north of Greenleaf have their containers emptied on Mondays and Thursdays. Residents that live south of Greenleaf have their containers emptied on Tuesdays and Fridays.

When is yard waste collected? Brush and yard debris is collected every Wednesday from early April through mid-November by request only.  Requests can be submitted online at or by calling 847/933-3333. The Village of Skokie does not collect grass clippings, dirt, or logs.

How should materials be prepared for collection? General household refuse must be drained of surplus liquids, bagged and securely tied. Yard Waste must be contained in paper yard waste bags. Small and large brush must bagged or bundled. Each branch cannot exceed three inches in diameter and cannot extend longer than five feet in length. Yard waste bags may not exceed 40 pounds per bag.  Construction waste, except for small do-it-yourself jobs, is not collected. Any waste from small, do-it-yourself jobs must be placed in boxes or waterproof bags, no heavier than 40 pounds. Household hazardous waste can be collected in small amounts if it is contained in sealed containers. Paint is collected as long as it is dried prior to collection. Needles are also collected, but must be placed in a sharps container. The Village does not collect motor oil and lead batteries. Recycling materials must be placed in the recycling cart for collection. All cans, cartons and jars must be rinsed prior to disposal. Motor oil, transmission fluid, antifreeze and charcoal lighter fluid containers are not accepted.

Where can I recycle my CFL bulbs?  You may recycle used CFL bulbs at the Skokie Health Department, Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.  For specific information, please call the Skokie Health Department at 847/933-8252.

Does the Skokie Health Department offer recycling opportunities?  Yes, the Skokie Health Department has a variety of recycling/disposal programs available to residents.  These include:  expired/unused medicine disposal, used syringe disposal, compact fluorescent light bulb recycling and household battery recycling.  Call the Health Department at 847/933-8252 for more information about these programs.