Public Works Department - Frequently Asked Questions

Please click on the link below to see specific Public Works Division FAQs

Miscellaneous Public Works FAQs

When will my alley be graded?  The Village attempts to grade each of its 65 miles of alley every year. Weather, in particular rain, can cause alley grading to be delayed, as the alleys need to be clear of standing water prior to grading.

My backyard floods - what can the Village do to help me? The Engineering Division offers a backyard flooding assistance program. Engineering staff will work with property owners to assess the situation and design a drainage solution. While the cost of the installation is borne by the property owner, Engineering Division staff will assist by designing a solution.

Are all streets in the Village under Village jurisdiction? No, please click here for a list of streets and which jurisdiction they belong to: Skokie, Cook County or Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT).

Who do I report a damaged or a burnt out street or alley light to? Different entities are responsible for different street and alley lights in Skokie. If you have a damaged or burnt out street or alley light, you can report it to the Village’s Engineering Division at 847/933-8231 and they will ensure the proper entities are notified.

Will the Village provide lighting for the alley behind my home?  Yes.  If you are interested in having a light placed in your alley, please call the Public Works Department at 847/933-8427.  Public Works staff will then determine if your alley has the necessary infrastructure to support a light.  If the necessary infrastructure is in place, an alley light will be installed and you will be billed a flat fee of $95 annually.  This fee covers the costs of the light, its installation and the electricity supply.

Do you have any advice on how I can avoid or deal with frozen pipes? During freezing conditions, homeowners should take the following precautions to prevent their pipes from freezing:

  • Allow a continuous trickle of water to flow through faucet(s) to help minimize the chances of freezing pipes.
  • Seal any leaks around doors or windows to reduce drafts that could lead to pipes freezing.
  • Open cabinet doors in the kitchen and bathrooms to allow the heat from the house to circulate.
  • Wrap interior piping running along outside walls with pipe insulation or heat tape.

A sign that your interior piping may be frozen is evident when there is a reduced trickle of water from your faucet. Do NOT attempt to thaw a frozen pipe yourself using an open flame.  Contact a qualified plumbing contractor to do the work.

Homeowners are reminded that they are responsible for their water service line up to and including the shut-off box and all household interior plumbing. The Public Works Department can assist in providing a list of qualified plumbing firms. Public Works can be contacted at 847/933-8427.