Finance Department - FAQs

If Skokie has had a property tax freeze since 1990, why are my property taxes always going up?  Skokie is only one taxing jurisdiction out of the more than a dozen different taxing bodies.  Schools comprise approximately 68% of an average property tax bill and increase each year as permitted by tax caps and/or approved referendum.

If my property assessment is the same as last year, why is my tax bill so different from year to year?  Many factors impact the final property tax bill.  First, other than Skokie, the levies of many agencies increase each year.  This is particularly true for school districts.  Second, the value of the homeowner's exemption has changed a number of times recently making comparison to prior years extremely difficult.  Finally, as a result of property assessment appeals, your property may change in proportion to the Village as a whole.  While any single residential property is a very small portion of the Village, large properties that receive downward assessment spreads the tax burden across all other properties in Skokie.

What is the sales tax in Skokie?  The sales tax in Skokie is 10.25% on general merchandise and 7.25% on the purchase of a motor vehicle.  The Illinois Department of Revenue collects and distributes sales taxes.  The Village receives a 1% local tax share plus 1% local Home Rule Sales Tax.

What is the deadline for purchasing a Village vehicle license each year?  Vehicle licenses must be displayed September 1 of each year.  For vehicles previously licensed by the Village, a license renewal form is mailed around June 1 and the new licenses may be purchased between that date and August 31 of each year.  Vehicles that are registered within the boundaries of the Village according to the Illinois Secretary of State records will be ticketed for failure to display a valid vehicle license after August 31.  Vehicle licenses may be renewed online during the purchase period.

How am I billed for water?  The Village charges a uniform water rate (effective October 2012) of $32.53 per 1000 cubic feet of water that flows through your water meter.  The water rate is revised periodically by the Village.  You will be billed four times a year for three months of water usage.  A postcard size statement will be sent to your billing address.  You will have thirty (30) days in which to make the payment.  Should your payment not be received by the Village in the thirty day period, a 10% late penalty will be added to your bill.  The original due date and charge as well as the charge inclusive of the penalty is noted on your regular quarterly bill.

Can I pay my water bill online or automatically through my checking account?  Yes. The Village currently offers two options for electronic payments: Automatic Bank Payment allows you to pay your water bill directly through your checking account. Online payments for water bills, parking tickets and non-moving violations and miscellaneous invoices can be made by using Visa, MasterCard, Discover and debit cards.

I received a parking ticket, how do I schedule a hearing date to contest the ticket?  Request for a hearing must be made in person at Finance/Collections window in Skokie Village Hall or in writing to the Parking Enforcement office.  You may call Parking Enforcement office at 847/933-8421 to find the earliest date and times that are available. You may also file a contest of your ticket through the mail if you choose not to appear in person.  You can only contest a ticket within 21 days of the date of the violation either by mail or by a hearing.

Who can answer questions about my property tax bill? Property taxes are both assessed and paid through Cook County.  The Cook County Assessor can answer questions regarding the calculation of your property tax and handle appeals.  The local number is 847/470-7237.  The Cook County Treasure handles the collections and refunds of property tax payments.  Please call 312/443-5100.

How can my firm be placed on the Village bidder's list?  Firms interested in being placed on the Village bidder's list should address a letter to the Purchasing Division, indicating the types of goods and services the firm can provide.  The firm will then be solicited when the Village is in need of the type of item that the firm can supply.